Auto Duck - The journal

Discussion in 'Ducksfoot: The Auto Journey' started by South Syder, Oct 28, 2016.

1. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

Howdy,

Loved the look of Ducksfoot since I first saw it looong ago! Wanted an auto version. Stitch was offering an alleged auto version which I ordered direct from him. Grew two till they outgrew my diminutive tent -- they didn't auto! They were some serious Ducksfoot though, but not auto.

I do not wish to criticize Stitch -- we're all familiar with the crap that went down and it's all in the past; I hear he's trying to get his shit together and I sincerely hope he does. In fact, even with the mess he was putting out towards the end there, a few simple crosses have restored the auto trait and result in very good plants -- so props to the guy. His breeding is sound enough to withstand whatever bullshit was done to his strains because it's easily fixable. 'Nuff said about all that!!

Now, I hope -- with help from the experienced breeders on this site -- to tweak his ducksfoot back to auto condition (assuming they have the auto gene in there, which I don't really know for sure). I've cracked three of the five seeds I had left of his strain and will either by luck or sex reversal inbreed it to make seed. Dunno if these will auto, but that's the plan for the first step.

I understand it's a mammoth job and have enlisted the help of a buddy (he'll let me use some of his space if I need it to keep the project going). I understand some have tried to breed ducksfoot autos and failed -- and I may very well be among them in the end, but then, maybe I won't. I need help from you guys here at AFN. I'm happy to distribute beans from the first batch to anyone who seriously wants to get involved.

My ultimate wet dream strain would be an auto Dragon/Ducksfoot cross, a DragonDuck! But first things first, let's see if the genotype has any auto in it before we go adding a new gene pool.

Expressions of interest welcome people -- and all help appreciated! Will post photos of the seedlings in about a week when there'll be something to see.

Cheers.

23 my 2015

2. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

12 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

Ducksfoots are healthy and plugging away and nothing too impressive so far but this is exactly typical of the last pair I grew. They progress at a given pace, okay, but nothing like typical auto life-cycle traits...maybe I'm reading too much into it. Ca/Mg enriched bioponic nutes withe EC at 1.0 and pH at 6.0.

Duck #1

duck1.jpg

Duck #2
    duck2-4-6-15.jpg

Duck #3
    duck3.jpg

First steps in what I expect will be an interesting journey...
    Cheers,
    4 June 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  3. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

19 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

Ducks are showing their style, nicely webbed, like the last pair I grew, and are healthy with nutes and pH same as before. Sure are serious ducksfoots though. Hoping they're autos, sure would make this caper easier, but if not, I'll start reducing photoperiod on 'em at around 40 days. I'll know by then because the last pair only showed gender around then and just refused to flower under 20/4. Time will tell.

Duck #1
    DUCK1 11-6-15.jpg duck1 19days.jpg

Duck #2
    duck2 -19 days.jpg
    duck2-19 days.jpg

Duck #3
    duck3 day 19-2.jpg
    duck3 day19.jpg

Back in a week for the update.

Cheers.
    10 June 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  4. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

26 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

The ducklings are shooting up and, like the last pair I grew, are Ca/Mg hogs! I tried to anticipate this but it still bit me. A few weeks and I'll have it sorted. EC at 1.8 and pH at 6.1. I'll have to surrender them to a buddy soon because I'm running out of room -- but I'll be steering this one so it should be all good. No gender expression yet, and I'm in total suspense to see something soon for the last pair showed late, and they didn't auto; maybe I'm totally wrong about this and it borders superstition but I figure the sooner they show the better the odds at autos...but then, maybe not.

Duck #1
    duck 1 26 days-1.jpg
    duck 1 26days.jpg

Duck #2
    duck 2- day 26.jpg
    duck2 day 26-2.jpg
    duck2 day 26-3.jpg
    Duck #3
    duck3 day 26-2.jpg duck3 day 26-3.jpg

As I've said earlier, this Stitch Ducksfoot, auto or not, is serious ducksfoot! I just love those webbed-leaved little beauties. The last pair I ran only went till late in veg, and I cut 'em; I was so disgusted and disappointed they weren't autos. I had no idea how rare a thing that is. You know what they say: "If ya want something done, etc..." Never win if ya don't try, right?

Cheers.
    18 June 2015

5. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

33 Day Ducks!
    Howdy,

Pretty sure I got two ducks and a drake! The Ca/Mg has recovered; new is growth is green and lush. I'll wait another week or so and see if I should switch 'em. These pics were taken in their new home.

Potential duck #1.
    D1 33days.jpg
    D1-33 days1.jpg

Potential duck #2
    D2 day 33-1 .jpg
    D2 DAY 33-2.jpg
    Probable drake, this dude...
    d3 33 days-1.jpg
    d3 33 days-2.jpg

Lateral growth seems to be coming. I'll stay patient and hope my early sexing is right. If they show definite signs soon it may be a good sign, maybe.

Cheers.

25 jUNE 2015

6. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

40 Day ducks!

Howdy,

These ducks are taking their time sexing up. Still looks like two gals and a guy but I can only be totally sure about gal #1. Gonna take a chance and hit the one I suspect as the drake with Tiresias mist; just can't miss this window or the whole exercise is for nothing. Looking healthy and Ca/Mg under control now. Laterals are stretching well. EC at 1.2 and pH at 6.00 and seeing as they've taken so long to sex, I suspect they're not autos, like the last pair I grew. I'm switching the photoperiod to 12/12 tomorrow.

Duck #1
    d1 day 40-1.jpg
    d1 day 40-2.jpg
    Duck (?) #2
    d2 day 40 -2.jpg
    d2 day 40-1.jpg

Drake (?)
    d3 day 40-1.jpg d3 day 40-2.jpg
    Not gonna fart-arse around with this one. Gonna get them budding and seeded ASAP so I got enough beans to work with on the next run. Hunch tells me I'ma cross them with a Dragon strain and clean up from there, but we'll see....

Cheers.

2 July 2015

pyrokev and Stone like this.
  7. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

48 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

Ducks are in pre-budset stretch phase; notice I said ducks? No drake! The one I thought was male turns out to be a chick! Been hitting her with Tiresias mist four days now and I'm hoping for the best! Otherwise they's all healthy and doing their thing....

Duck #1
    d1 day 48-3.jpg

Duck #2
    d2 day 48-1.jpg d2 day 48-2.jpg d2 day 48-3.jpg

Duck/Drake
    d3 day 48-2.jpg d3-day 48 -1.jpg
    Okay, so now I know for sure there is no auto in these plants. The plan is to make more seed and hit them with a dragon strain. It'll be a big clean up if it gets to that stage...kinda makes me wonder if I had rocks in my head starting all this....

Cheers.
    9 July 2015

chillfred, pyrokev and Stone like this.
  8. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

63 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

Ducksfoots are kicking along and I gotta say that I'm amazed: hit that bloody gal I once suspected as male with three bottles of Tiresias mist and I'm still waiting for definite signs of male preflowers. I said 'definite', because I see something approximating them (and just quietly, I'm confident they are), though I must remain cautious. One thing's for sure -- these bitches are the most hermie resistant things I've seen in, like, forever! Hoping for pollen in then next fortnight or so...

Duck #1
    d1 day 63-1.jpg d1 day 63-2.jpg
    Duck #2
    d2 day 63-1.jpg d2 day 63-2.jpg
    Duck #Drake

d3 day 63-1.jpg d3 day 63-3.jpg
    Okay, I'm rolling with the punches. Hoping for pollen and pure ducksfoot seedstock. If it don't work out I'll revegetate them and try again, but time will tell...

Cheers.
    25 July 2015

chillfred and pyrokev like this.
  9. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

So far I've established two things about this strain: 1) they are photos 2)they won't hermie! Seriously, I've dumped three bottles of Tiresias mist on this plant and light-stressed it and near frozen it and it won't gimme love. I've had my buddy crop it for reversal (can't consume any material sprayed with that stuff) and on the next round I'm gonna start hitting it very early on, as much as it takes.

I wanna hit one gal with the reversed pollen and the other with a male dragon's and just get on with the bloody job. Still, who would've figured the crazy thing is so strong? Dunno where Stitch got these things or whether he actually bred them but I've never encountered anything like it.

Having said that, the report is the two remaining gals are flowering like they're racing for it! Great structure and density and still webbed. I'll get some pics up soon as I can.
    1 August 2015

10. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

70 Day Ducks!

Howdy,

These ducks are vigorous as f-ck in flower! Irony is the one I hit with all that reversal spray didn't bloody reverse but I've found bananas on the two deep in flower!!!! F-ck!!! Seems like a genetic tendency triggered by recent P deficiency. Gonna have to cull them and reveg them and try again! This time I'll cut the bullshit and just hit them with a dragon strain. Nobody said this bloody project was gonna be easy -- but this is a lot of stuffing around!!
    Duck #1
    d1 day 70-1.jpg d1-70days-2.jpg

Duck #2
    d2 day 70-1.jpg d2 day 70-2.jpg
    10 August 2015

11. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

87 Day Duck!

Howdy,

Been a convoluted grow so far but I got one Duck finishing...eventually. Not exactly fast but she's steadily filling out. To be fair, she looks to have weeks yet to go. Gonna reverse a Black Stone and hit this thing on the next flowering run. Arrested the P def and she's a hardy thing, stable so far, but not much on frosting yet.

day 87-1.jpg day 87-2.jpg day 87-3.jpg day 87-4.jpg
    22 August 2015

12. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

93 Day Duck!

Howdy,

This thing is just chugging along, but I'm still waiting to see some resin production and signs of maturity. Looks real fresh yet, like it's got another month or so...damnit!! Very sativa influence in this plant, for sure. Gonna stay with her though, she's gotta start finishing sometime...right...??!

96days.jpg day 93-1.jpg day 93.jpg day 93=3.jpg
    Nute parameters all the same so its just a waiting game now. The saga continues....
    28 August 2015

13. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

113 Day Duck -- Harvest!!

Howdy,

This thing is finally ready, though I could actually leave it go another ten days, but my buddy wants his space back for a bit. Sure took its f-ckin' time this one. Nugs are tight and considerable -- heck, the plant is a beauty considering the pot size. Sticky buds but not overly frosty and, sadly, the smell is unremarkable. Hempy, grassy, green, and just a hint of hashiness. The leaves remained webbed till the very end. Been on water for three weeks and is relatively green and green smelling. Hoping a cure brings something latent out of it. Gonna reveg it and eventually hit it a Dragon male. Space is getting scare with all the lads, so this project will likely limp along for a while.

113 Days, shaggy gal.
    chop-1.jpg chop-2.jpg chop-3.jpg chop-4.jpg

Shaved Duck
    shaved-1.jpg shaved-2.jpg shaved-3.jpg shaved-4.jpg shaved-5.jpg shaved-6.jpg

14. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

Early smoke report.

Buds still got too much moisture but they're smokable. And what can I say? Wow! The greenness is slightly hashy foundation but this thing has a cool topnote like menthol cigarettes. Menthol for-crying-out-loud! High is definitely sati dom and racy but no paranoia, and I bloody love that. I'm sure the smell will mature in the next few months and I wonder if this menthol thing will diminish or intensify. Seriously crazy strain this one!

15. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

So I didn't make it for the second pollination either, but I have seen her since. The pollination looks perfect. Calyxes are already swelling with little F1s. About three to four weeks from here I think. Gal looks like she's had enough though, leaves showing some dieback. Sure, she reveged, but didn't seem to enjoy it...and that makes me suspicious.

This gall of the three expressed gender earliest and seemed to wanna push buds before I switched them all to 12/12.Thought I was imagining it at the time, but now, looking back, maybe I wasn't: See..?

Anyhow, I'll try get pics soon (though he took no pictures of the Stone Dragon male, grr!).
    pregnant duck.jpg

Cheers.
    3 December

16. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

I finally got Dragon x Duck F1 beans and it's been a real effort to finish them. The Duck mom just didn't like revegging and took her sweet-ass time finishing these F1s. They're the smallest beans I've ever seen! Seriously. They're nicely marbled but light in color. I'd have let them go longer if the Duck mom wasn't totally giving up the ghost. Reckon they're viable but I'ma dry 'em well and stick them in the fridge for a week or so.

Anyhow, I'm out of the growing game for a while and these were finished at a friend's place. He's happy to have his spare closet back for his own use and these F1s are gonna be stashed till I'm back in the game. I haven't got heaps of beans and I wanna keep most but I'm happy to send some to a few capable guys that can carry on the project -- so if anyone wants to help, drop me a PM, if not, this thread is gonna go dormant for quite a while.

Cheers.
    23 January 2016

17. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

Howdy,

Okay, ten have gone in the drink and in 24 hours gonna put 'em in cubes and cross my fingers and toes! Looks like I can grow a few out too, so the wait wasn't a total waste. Like I said, the seed mother Duck plant had to really struggle to finish these little buggers (and they really are small seeds!) so let's hope the effort was worth it. Throw some pics up when they're in cubes y'all.

Cheers.
    27 March 2016

18. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

Dragon Duck F1s!!

Weeelll Howdy!

Let's get this thread caught up, shall we?

My beautiful Duck (Stitch stock...or so he claimed), a bloody vigorous and well yielding and menthol, yup, I said menthol tasting Duck, and very sati-dom high, a fat-webbed Duck of a dame...bloody struggled to revegetate, and even more so to finish the Stone Dragon cross seeds. Here's two pics (and we're lucky he remembered to take even these) of the reveged Duck mom. She's a little chloritic and tired and also looks to me like some P deficiency, but, hey, I wasn't there much to help my coco-novice-always-stoned-pal. And, of course, my little corner took last and occasional attention to his own 'bitches’.

20 days.jpg 20days1212.jpg
    ...Then, after more f-cking around than I care to recollect, seed got finished (tiny little buggers), harvested, dried well, chilled for, well, longer than expected, and eventually bloody soaked and planted in my regular germination method -- and it usually has a damn good strike rate...unless some bogus-old-as-shit-so-let's-give-it-away-as-a-freebie bean gets in there. Ten got soaked, ten planted, and here's the pic:

But are they any good?!
    new ducks-1.jpg

The question we all of course want answered. After 32 hour soak, and 36 hour incubation in warmed cubes -- 8 are up! We're at 80% and I'm still hanging in there for the last two!

We officially have Dragon Duck F1s!
    new ducks -3.jpg new ducks -2.jpg

I remove them from the plain water perlite wick as they sprout and transfer to nute solution perlite soak to give 'em a good kick in the ass! These pics are in the nutes soak and sprouts will remain in it till they get a helthy root mass out of the cubes.

Overall, so far so good -- and, as a new potential strain, we have F1s -- a success!

Cheers for the support people.
    31 March 2016

pyrokev and Stone like this.
  19. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

We Got 100%!!

Howdy,

Last two beans came up! We got 100% so strike rate is perfect and I feel good to let 'em loose to those of you eager to help. Here's the proof:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're all soaking in nute solution of 450ppm and loving it, so we're off to the next phase of this project.

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  20. South Syder

South Syder Quack Master

7 day Dragon Ducks!

Howdy,

Little F1s are scooting along and at seven days look to have pretty good vigor. Gonna plant 'em in conservative pots (no choice in my shoebox) in the next few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cute little suckers, ain't they?

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016